Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Mas Laval / St. Patricks Day


Thought I'd give myself a wine treat for Paddys Day so
I cracked open a bottle of the Mas Laval 2005..

All I can say is Wow..what a wine..its absolutely gorgeous stuff..
(Its not cheap at 25.95 but I strongly feel that its worth every cent)
The wine is a Syrah / Grenache, Mourvedre blend
(a blend I'm really fond of by the way..)
Sometimes they add a small component of Cabernet Franc
aswell depending on the vintage conditions..
The wine is aged for 18 months in one year old burgundy
barrels from Domaine de la Romanee Conti, no less!!
The Mas Laval vineyards are near the village of Aniane,
a famous terroir in the Languedoc, where some really famous
and more expensive wines (Mas de Daumas Gassac / Grange des Peres)
are made.
I visited the winery and vineyards on my last trip to the Languedoc
and tasted wines directly from the vats and barrels with Joel Laval,
one of three brothers involved in running the winery.
A fascinating visit and having tasted the wines now over several vintages a wine I can heartily recommend..

No comments:

Post a Comment